2019 Science Communication Fellowship Application Process
Who: Open to junior faculty, post doctoral fellows, and early career scientists in academia, government or private industry with active research programs in sustainable science fields such as environmental health sciences and/or green chemistry/engineering. Applicants should be fluent in English and based in the US or Canada.
When: Applications are Due Friday, March 1 2019
Applications should include:
- A letter from the nominee describing qualifications and why he or she wishes to participate; and
- A letter of recommendation from a professional mentor and/or department chair or dean; and
- A letter of support from the applicants supervisor; and
- The nominee’s CV with two sample publications in PDF format.
Submit applications by e-mail to email@example.com
- Fellows are selected by a panel of science experts and the Fellows program staff.
- Up to 10 fellows will be chosen for 2019. Each fellow receives a $2,000 stipend.
- Decisions will be announced in April
- Fellowship begins in May 2019
If Selected, Fellows will Commitment to:
- Attend a two-day in-person communications workshop in June 2019 (travel, lodging and meal expenses paid by the fellowship).
- Identify new scientific findings within their area of expertise and prepare talking points as what the researchers did and why it is important.
- Participate on monthly fellows training calls where fellows present these studies and are interviewed by guest journalists
- Participate in mini-trainings, many involve small amounts of pre meeting preparation.
Throughout the year:
- Work with our presentation coach to prepare and record short video presentations of their research telling the story of why it is important.
- Practice social-media skills on twitter and other platforms
- Work with a Leadership and Career Coach on professional improvement goals.
Fellows will work from their home organizations by phone and the Internet.