Open to post doctoral fellows and junior faculty with active research programs related to Green Chemistry. Advancing Green Chemistry in partnership with Environmental Health Sciences is offering a Science Communication Fellowship designed to teach and improve scientist’s communication and outreach skills early in their professional careers. Fellows practice writing, presenting and publishing accessible summaries of important new research results.
Nominations are being accepted now for the competitive, one-year fellowship that will further enhance the researcher’s media communication skills and offer a strong peer network. Fellowship training provides participants the tools with which to communicate Green Chemistry research to media, policy makers and the public. The program emphasizes US based media.
Duties: With assistance from skilled communication experts and AGC/EHS staff, Science Communication Fellows appointed for 2013 calendar year will:
- Identify every month two important new scientific findings within their area of expertise.
- Submit short written summaries that translate the findings for reporters and the public.
- Report on those findings via a monthly conference call.
- Occasionally, expand the summaries into longer, more detailed synopses.
- Contribute short reviews critiquing media coverage of green chemistry findings.
- Attend a two-day national conference to meet one another and AGC/EHS staff, network with professionals in related fields, attend media training and discuss research and policy issues in green chemistry and environmental health.
Fellows will work from their home institutions by phone and the Internet.
Green Chemistry Science Communication Fellows will participating alongside Environmental Health Science Communication Fellows throughout the year-long appointment.
- Open to post doctoral researchers and junior faculty with active research programs related to Green Chemistry/Environmental Health Sciences.
- Written and oral English fluency
- Location within North American time zones preferred
Compensation: $5,000 stipend for the year and paid expenses for media training conference.
Nomination/Application: Applications are due October 15, 2012 and must be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
- A letter from the nominee describing qualifications and why he or she wishes to participate; and
- The nominee’s CV with three sample publications in PDF format.`
Selection & Notification: A selection committee will review nominations and choose up to two fellows for the 2013 calendar year. Applicants may be invited to a short phone interview with members of the selection committee. Participants will be notified by December 1, 2012. The Fellowship begins Feb. 1, 2013.
This program is funded by a grant from the Kendeda Foundation. AGC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.